The town Habra is medium in size having a settlement of massive influx of displaced persons since partition of India & Pakistan caused it to emerge out as a town and started agriculture, fisheries, small scale household industries and trading for their livelihood and day by day they built up their sociol-economic status which imparted the rural area into urban in character. Habra, being a relatively new place inhabited mostly by settlers from across the border, it has few heritages like Nagarthuba Rajbari-where the relics still exist, Belgoria mosque one of the oldest mosque located at ward no 1 and was built in 19th century, Nilkuti house was built for indigo cultivation in 19th century. It is fabled that once there were some traces of Buddhist living in the area.
Sree Chaitanya College, Habra occupies a very distinguished status in the higher education map of the district of North 24 Parganas as well as of the state of West Bengal. The institution with its imposing building-structures amid a lush green of more than 20 acres of land, overlooking Jessore Road (NH 35), is about 40 km from Kolkata. The college was established in 1956, primarily to cater the need of the thousands of hapless youth who, owing to partition of the country were forced to settle almost as paupers in this part of the state but had nourished deep in their hearts an inextinguishable urge to pursue higher education to overcome their present miseries.
But their dream would have never been realised without the initiative of the Habra Siksha Parishad and kind patronage of Government of West Bengal under the legendary Chief Minister, the late Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. However, the project was given a proper shape by the youngest Minister in the Roy-Cabinet, the late Tarun Kanti Ghosh, who was also an MLA from Habra. The College began its journey in the premises of Habra High School; then shifted to site of Bangiya Christian Council; and finally to its present premises on October 5, 1958. It is a matter of prestige that in October 1958, the Government of India recognised the institution as a Degree College on sponsored basis, dedicated mainly to the education of the displaced students from the erstwhile East Pakistan, in the Intermediate and Bachelor Degree in Arts and Science, with affiliation from University of Calcutta, with effect from the academic session 1958-59.
As time rolled on, the College grew into a giant academic institution with Honours Departments in Arts and Science subjects. The College has always been blessed with a bunch of gifted teachers, with brilliant academic career, and a band of dedicated non-teaching staff, including librarians. The hard work of the whole of the College staff has helped produce generations of excellent students with very good academic results, many of whom have become university-toppers. Many of our former students have been very successful in life as school/college/university teachers; researchers in renowned institutions in India and abroad; bureaucrats and technocrats in government services or business corporations; journalists, authors and theatre personalities of repute.